CSRCorporate Social Responsibility
Communication with employees
In RENAISSANCE’s corporate philosophy as a “Company to create something to live for,” we contained a message in hopes to create fulfilling lives for not only our guests but also our employees through our work. In addition, the keywords for our Behavioral guidelines include “hospitality,” “diligence,” “contributing to society,” “devotion to one’s work,” and also to seek out something we, too, can live for.
- 5 important values at RENAISSANCE
- Promote Health and Productivity Management
- Diversity management
- Regular reviews of work styles
- Aiming for Best Workplaces
5 important values at RENAISSANCE
- To support the health of our guests, we must first make efforts to develop a healthy mind and body both for ourselves and our surroundings.
- For guests, coworkers, clients, and other people we interact with, maintain a considerate, hospitable, and compassion mindset.
- Don’t be satisfied with the way things are now, but instead aim higher and proactively work toward improvement and creation.
- Take on a leading role for yourself, work for those around you, pool your resources with theirs, and achieve results you couldn’t on your own.
- Striving for Results
- With compliance as a prerequisite, don’t give up, and earnestly insist on the final result you’re trying to achieve.
Promote Health and Productivity Management
In order to achieve our corporate philosophy, “Proposing a healthy and comfortable lifestyle to the guests,” it’s essential for employees to be healthy in both mind and body and also for them to work energetically. At RENAISSANCE, we have implemented a health management strategy which is a system that supports employees’ health while also contributing to good results for the company’s business. On April 1st, 2020, Naoki Takazaki, Representative Director, President and Corporate Officer, was appointed to the position of CHO (Chief Health Officer), launching RENAISSANCE’s health management strategy initiative.
- RENAISSANCE Health and Productivity Management declaration
Based on RENAISSANCE’s corporate philosophy as a “Company to create something to live for,” we are working on initiatives for creating a meaningful life for all of our guests through healthy living.
In order to achieve this goal, the first step is ensuring that all employees maintain their health in both mind and body as professionals in this industry, and also seek out something to live for. We consider this to be the most important thing within our Behavioral guidelines and guidelines for human resource ideals.
Based on our Health and Productivity Management declaration, we are providing a new level of proactive health management and organizational work improvement measures and contributing to society by helping our guests create something to live for.
Focusing on health as a keyword, RENAISSANCE is transitioning from a sole focus on sports clubs to a business providing various services and expanding globally. In order to develop an organizational structure that can achieve sustainable growth, we have chosen “diversity promotion” as an important management strategy for both ensuring a stable supply of employees and also conducting training. We carry out initiatives based on this fundamental guideline.
- Fundamental Guidelines for Diversity Promotion
As a “Company to create something to live for,” RENAISSANCE considers the diversity promotion one of its important management strategies.
- By leveraging individual differences like gender, age, nationality, disabilities, values, and culture, we create new value.
- By accepting these differences and building up trust, cooperation, and meaningfulness of work, individual employees’ strengths can be leveraged to their maximum effectiveness.
- Through the diversity promotion, we can achieve innovations that will handle the diversified needs of the marketplace, improving our corporate value.
Main Initiatives Related to the Diversity Promotion
At RENAISSANCE, there is a Diversity Promotion Team within the personnel strategy department, and this team works toward reforms in the way we work through promotion of women in the workplace and a company environment where employees accept each other’s diversity. This in turn helps us to handle the major changes in society such as declining and aging population, and the diversification of both client needs and values related to work.
In addition, we have set up a dedicated bulletin board for diversity promotion topics, and held events such as a symposium on the topic of promoting women in the workplace, a training session for women’s career design, and an introduction of examples within the company based on internal information. These are some of our main initiatives for the diversity promotion.
Promoting Women in the Workplace
Promoting women in the workplace is not limited to activities targeted to women themselves. It also requires initiatives for men such as participating in childrearing and changing working style, activities to improve awareness and culture within the company as a whole. Based on the fundamental principle of promoting diversity, we have established a plan for independent action to promote women in the workplace, and are working toward its implementation.
- Principles for Promotion of Women in the Workplace
- We, in order to achieve our objective as a “Company to create something to live for,” promotion of diversity management is an important strategy.
- The promotion of women in the workplace is an indispensable theme for improving corporate value, and our entire organization is proactively working toward it.
- By increasing women’s activities, we can handle the diversified needs of the market and promote innovation.
Independent action plan related to the appointment of a female executive or manager.
- 1.Female employees find their work worthwhile and put their skills to work actively.
- 2.Achieve a highly-productive working style that also maintains a good work-life balance for both male and female employees.
- 3.Use the activities of female employees related to decision-making to improve competitiveness and the stability of management.
- ［Quantitative Goals for 2020］
- 4.5 or more female executives
- 5.Management staff 30% female
- 6.Leader staff (subsection chief and above) 50% female
- ○Start up an appointment organization
- ○Objectives shared among all employees at meetings
- ○Opinion exchanges with female employees and management staff, etc.
Hiring for the Disabled
RENAISSANCE staff members include a variety of different types of people ranging from athletes who have appeared in the Deaflympics to business-minded people who want to be a part of a growing industry and there are employees working for the company that have a wide range of different ideas. The environment allows staff to get a sense of personal growth while maintaining an awareness of guest goal achievement and changes. By elevating the value of each individual, this system provides growth and meaningful work.
Number of Disabled Employees (Count) and Employment Ratio
As a means to acquire proper knowledge and raise the awareness necessary for LGBT staff management, training is conducted for all managerial staff, while e-learning is carried out for all employees. We are striving to install a workplace where all employees can mutually recognize diversity and play active roles.
Personnel Training for Global Expansion
By taking advantage of our vast experience and expertise in Japan, we develop local staff members, aiming to provide services with a quality equivalent to that of Japan at directly managed fitness clubs and swimming schools in Vietnam.
Japanese staff members teach a wide variety of operations, including instructions for swimming, training, and studio lessons, as well as reception and facility guidance, all the while improving on cultural exchange. We aim to instill the concept of and mindset behind Japanese hospitality and its culture of high quality into local staffs for all business operations conducted by them in the future.
Regular reviews of work styles
To realize more-productive and more-flexible work styles, employees can take advantage of a telecommuting system while out of the office and at home, etc.
Self-selective staggered work shifts
Employees working at the head office can choose a time to come to work between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m.
System of permanent employees for designated areas
We have an area employee system in which employees will have no job relocation accompanying a change of residence or will have a limited designated area to work in, thereby offering an environment where they can play an active role based on their own life design.
Side jobs and side business are allowed based upon an application process and permission.
Renaissance allows telecommuting during long vacations, thereby enabling new work styles for work while enjoying vacation.
Career design vacation
Employees can take vacations for up to three years to study overseas, engage in overseas volunteer activities, study at a university or graduate school, or for the job relocation of a spouse.
Aiming for Best Workplaces
RENAISSANCE participated in the “Best Workplaces 2020” survey run by Great Place to Work ® Institute Japan (GPTW Japan), and was selected as the best company in the large company category for the 8th year in a row.
To continue to remain a worthwhile workplace, Renaissance undertakes a comprehensive range of measures.
Internal Club Activities
- 1st Japan Amateur Swimming Championships (2018): Renaissance Women’s Swim Team won first place.
- 2nd Tokyo Amateur Team Swimming Championships (2019): Renaissance Women’s Swim Team won first place.
- Tokyo Region Kigyo Taiko Ekiden (2019)
- Women’s Division: Renaissance Women’s Ekiden Team won first place.
- Men’s Division: Renaissance Men’s Ekiden Team won third place.
- 57th All Japan Industrial and Commercial Tennis Competition (Business Pal Tennis) (2018): Renaissance Men’s Tennis Team won first place.
- 34th Kanto Industrial and Commercial Tennis League (2019): Renaissance Women’s Tennis Team won first place
Best Staff Member Contest
Since 2014, the staff members of Sports Club Renaissance across Japan have hosted an annual Best Staff Member Contest for the purpose of sharing best practices toward creating guests emotional satisfaction and the mindset to create such, as well as to improve the standard of guest service and to ensure that the many people associated with Renaissance are pleased. Staff members from the front lines, from fitness, and from the swimming and tennis sections win their way through qualification rounds on an area basis and compete in a final round to decide on the best staff member from each section (four persons).
Internal Award Structure
Awards are given to staff members that have contributed to Renaissance through work such as achievements in business, life-saving, and community contributions.